Making homemade pasta takes some effort but is really worth it! I have a pasta machine, but I prefer to roll out the dough and cut it into the desired shape. I’m sure when you are making a lot of pasta, like a restaurant, the pasta machine is a life savor but for a single batch it’s a lot of clean up, at least mine is. Here are two options for making pasta, an egg based noodle and an eggless one. The egg based version is heavier and the flour only option much lighter.
Pasta (with egg)
2 cups cake flour
1 cup regular flour
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
Pasta (no egg)
3 cups flour
1 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch of salt
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients except the water.
- Once the initial ingredients are mixed together, start drizzling the water into the food processor while it is on low.
- You want your mixture to look crumbly but form together when you pinch it between your fingers.
- Dump mixture onto clean floured surface and knead until smooth. (roughly 5 to 8 minutes)
- Cover with plastic wrap, refrigirate for 30 minutes or more.
- Cut dough into six pieces, rolling out one at a time to desired thickness.
- I like a light noodle, so I roll my dough very thin.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the pasta into thin strips for fettucine.
- Meanwhile get boiling water with salt going.
- Boil batches of the pasta (3 to 4 minutes) so you don’t overcrowd.
- Drain and serve with your favorite sauce.