Here is the before pic. I loved my hand made magnolia garland from Christmas so much I didn't take it down...just took the holiday out and added a zebra and candle sticks. This was fine for a few months but now that it's really summer, I needed a change.
Step 1: I started by taking the face/actual clock apart, so that only the wood base was left. This was easy, most pieces just twisted or snapped apart, then a couple of screws.
Step 2: I used chalk paint and an antiquing finish to give it a worn appearance. The first coat of chalk paint went on pretty poorly, I was a little worried, but after two more coats it was fine. (total 3 coats)
Step 3: Paint on the antiquing finish and then rub in. I used paper towel to work the finish to the desired look. I didn't want too much, so I worked in small sections and removed immediately. The directions said 15 minute window to remove... but it felt a little shorter.
This picture illustrates the "small section" description above. Keep in mind that if you wipe too much off, you can always reapply to get a darker look.
Finished Clock - while the clock was still taken apart, I added a little of the antique finish to the gold rim of the clock.
- Books and glass topiary (reused from another shelf in living room)
- Drift wood (found at lake)
- Clock (refinished)
- Round stick orb (garage sale years ago)
- Antique vase (family antique hand-me-down)
- Small turquoise lantern (given to me in a gift basket)